Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Alexipharmic (or, Now that's a little cynicism for you)

I pour my heart out like
a pitcher made of flesh
and it spills onto these pages
a stain made of ink, spread by word of mouth
I don't really mind
the mess,
the Chaos wrapped in bedlam inside disorder
or the push the woke shove
tipping an already wobbled Weeble.
It's the moth's effect
once the butterfly flies away
that damn resolution to talk it out
the make-up/break-up not quite donenesss
everything that goes into cleaning, goes into
cleansing the soul of hurt's dark humor
or the stubborn confetti of joy's party.
It's all the same:
a hangover from being punch-drunk on emotion
and in the end
it all winds up being bottled up again.

_____________________________
This one was actually published in Emerald Ridge High School's literary arts magazine ascent (Vol.7, 2007) under the title "now that's a little cynicism for you". I have no idea why, though I think the retitle helps mitigate some of the misgivings I now have about the opening/closing lines.

No comments: