Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Guess This is Best Described as Procrastination

I suppose I'm supposed to call
this thing that I'm writing
a paper.
It has all the hallmarks of one:
words on a page.
But this is not language to me.
It's academia,
science:
foreign to this part of me
that writes poetry
and spills words like water
for the thirsty ears out there listening.
I don't want to call it constraining
when the things I'm typing
are a release  of all
the pent-up research
I've been magpie massing,
but the mediation gets lost
as I regurgitate for the hatchlings,
whose grading pens quiver,
all this knowledge acquired.
Still, this is not valueless work.
My privilege to complain as I
attend higher education
slows my typing hands.
"Just get it done,"
they whisper.
Click-clack translations
playing with a sleepless mind.
"Just get it done."

No comments: